Saturday, March 3, 2012

I have been vegetarian all my life but I've recently gone vegan. This feels like a drastic change for me because all the meat substitutes I regularly ate (Quorn) all seem to have milk powder in?
Cheese was practically a staple for me and I've tried a vegan cheese from my local health food store (Holland and Barrett) but it was pretty vile. What can I replace cheese with; do you know any good brands?
Also, I still have not found a replacement milk I like. I've tried almond, oat, rice and soya milk. All of them pretty gross. I'm missing cereal. Any suggestions? :(|||I use hemp milk (http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncomm鈥?/a> ) for cereal. It's expensive (~$4/quart) but worth it imo. Some people have said it has a "gamey" taste. I think it tastes delicious. After hemp I'd suggest rice, but you said you don't like rice. Have you tried different brands of the same milks? Some brands taste different though they're made from the same thing.

The only "cheese sub." I've used is Nutritional Yeast (http://veganstore.com/index.html?stocknu鈥?/a> )--Used it like Parmesan cheese on baked eggplant. Can also make mac 'n' cheese out of it: http://rosemaryamey.ca/recipes/mac.html|||there's a new coconut milk that some people are raving about - it's low glycemic and tastes great. it's by KARA

Report Abuse

|||I don't typically use cheese substitute, as most of the lactose free cheese from grocery stores still have casein, which is from milk. It is difficult to find vegan cheeses where I live.
I really like 8th continent soy milk. It's really smooth and good.
http://www.8thcontinent.com/
I buy it at kroger.
Boca has some really good vegan products. Try some of those.
=)|||Just eat cereal plain, I always eat my Cheerios straight from the box!

And all the plain milks are gross, just... bleh. But I find myself addicted to Almond Breeze Chocolate Almond Milk, it's REALLY good! I highly recommend it. :)|||I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's good on cereal, and it even tastes okay to just drink by itself.|||Try Silk - Milk
and a really great cheese is Soy Kaas|||i am in love with hemp milk and it goes pretty good with most cereals.
as for cheeses, ive never found a good vegan cheese. its really not hard to live without though, i was the same way as you and when i went vegetarian i lived on dairy. but like meat after a while you wont even miss it. ive heard that nutritional yeast is supposed to give off a cheesey flavor although i have never tried it myself.
as for meat substitutes, i dont use them personally myself. instead ill use portebello mushrooms for burgers, or i make oat and veggie burgers. breaded or plain eggplant is nice once in a while with mashed potatoes or with pasta type dishes. zucchini/squash patties also go nice with potatoes or on a bun. of course beans are great. you can really get creative with vegan cooking. i would suggest maybe going to the library or buying a cookbook-amazon.com is cheaper. and dont be afraid to try something that sounds disgusting, ive found that the weirder something sounds the better it tastes.|||I too don't have much of a taste for milks. I wasn't the biggest fan of dairy milk either though.
As for cheese, there really isn't a perfect vegan cheese out there yet.
The best I have tried is Follow Your Heart and Daiya. Melted. They don't taste very good cold.
In some recipes, such as mac and cheese, you can use nutritional yeast for a good cheesy flavor.
Vegweb.com has some recipes for such or you could just google for some.
All those substitutes and fake stuff really aren't that great for you, I would suggest eating more natural veggies and fruits and grains and nuts and cooking for yourself instead of buying premade foods. I do admit though that I too am liek you, though I am trying to cut down and learn to cook more. Boca has some vegan veggie burgers that I use, I also like alot of stuff from the veggie meat section of our health food store such as tofurkey slices and Lightlife sausage and such.
Veganessentials.com is a good online vegan store full of goodies and treats you may want to check out. Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment